- YouGrowGirl! Care (prenatal care)
- ConsciousBirth Care (Labor & Birth management)
- MamaMoon Care (mother care post birth – 6 weeks)
- BundledBaby Care (newborn care birth – 6 weeks)
At Healing Passages, we hold close to our hearts, one inherent truth: that physiological birth—birth as it was meant to be, as it was designed—is protective for mother and child.
It is through our care that women reconnect with this ageless wisdom, making a conscious choice to bring their children into the world a different way. Come and experience birth with us; birth without violence, where attachment and connection are honored above all, where women and families are empowered to heal and where birth is transformative—for women, their families and ultimately the greater community.
“Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength. ” ~Barbara Katz Rothman
YouGrowGirl! Care (prenatal care)
Upon entry to care prenatally, each woman begins a journey of letting go of all fears & cultural perceptions of birth. She has to work hard to relearn how to trust birth and her body’s wisdom and guidance. But she is not doing it alone! We connect her to a greater community of women and families who are here to help. Whether it’s her first time or her fifth, she will discover a home with us! All prenatal care is provided in our sustainable wellness center.
YouGrowGirl! Care is a part of our Comprehensive MotherBaby Care program and includes:
- Consultation with our Guest Experience Coordinator who gives each woman a packet to begin her care, orients her to our Village and all its offerings and connects her to our on-line communities.
- 1/2 hr private prenatal visits with the midwives themselves where you will experience the shared decision making model of care. These sessions meet every 4-6 weeks until 7 months, then every 2-3 weeks until term, then weekly until birth.
- Attendance at our prenatal group class series on selected topics. This is the beginning of building your village. Women come together to mingle, share & learn from each other. Each session is one hour. Topics are reflective of our philosophy and approach to care and geared towards preparing you for birth in the out-of-hospital setting: Home birth 101, Physiological Birth, Complications, MamaMoon Care and BundledBaby Care.
- Group Glucose Clinic run by a birth team member
- Exclusive Membership into some of our groups prenatally & post birth:
- The Birth Circle (women only, wine, food, chocolate, sharing, tears, laughter…topics monthly change and reflect universal concerns from birth through the first year)
- The Wisdom Circle (women only, wine, food, chocolate, sharing, tears, laughter…topics monthly change and reflect universal issues for women in general)
- Membership into our Secret Client Connection Facebook page, an active, dynamic place where clients ask questions, share their stories and interact with the guidance of the midwives!
- Free Mums Breastfeeding Class taught by Char Wade, RN, Motherbaby Nurse
ConsciousBirth Care (Labor & Birth Management)
“The Time is Now! To awaken to full human potential and dream our children into a new dawn of justice, happiness and peace.”—Birthing the Future
It begins with the sacred journey of birth. It is time for women to reclaim this experience. It is time for attendants at birth—midwives, physicians, nurses, & doulas—to learn physiological birth as it was meant to be; to learn how to hold the space for women without fear, without anxiety, without ego. It is an art to be non-interventive, to allow the process to unfold in its own way, on its own time. At Healing Passages we are experts in this process; in holding the space, while you do the work of two of life’s most magnificent transitions—the birth of a child, the birth of a mother—honoring all that nature designed to keep mother and baby safe.ConsciousBirth Care is a part of our Comprehensive MotherBaby Care program and includes:
- Midwifery management of physiological, intuitive birth in one of our birth suites of your choice @ Healing Passages or in your home
- Water birth
- Early labor support via phone and texting
- Once active labor begins, our client is with her birth team
- Birth is always attended by a nurse-midwife and one of our birth team members, both experts in the physiological birth process.
- If hospital transfer is needed, your birth team goes with you, with records, to turn care over to our consulting maternity providers
We hold the space, while you do the work of two of life’s most magnificent transitions—the birth of a child, the birth of a mother—honoring all that nature designed to keep mother and baby safe.
MamaMoon Care (mother care post birth – six weeks)
To our community, the MamaMoon time is when the mother hibernates after her birth with baby and family. It is her time to be nurtured and held, cared for and watched over. We are here to help you with any struggle you might be having; with your body, your new baby, or your new family unit.
- A 24 hr home visit (some clients who live too far away may opt to stay in our MamaMoon Inn!),
- A two to three day breastfeeding visit by one of our MotherBaby specialists who are trained biological breastfeeding experts
- New Mamas are welcome at the 5 day and 2 week newborn visit to assess breastfeeding!
- 6-8 week GROUP visit—women join each other as we drink tea and share our joys and struggles of the transition since birth. (Topics discussed include: our bodies, breastfeeding, our relationships, birth control, sexuality, mothering, exercise, support, community, and more!
All women are deeply connected with the midwives and theVillage post birth. No where in the Des Moines area will you find such a rich community of support like Healing Passages!
Women are encouraged to return for a private, annual, well-woman exam and consultation with one of our midwives at 4 months post birth. The midwives get to see the growing babies, help each woman with her physical needs and screen for depression and depletion; while the woman gets to process her birth and her experience of being a mother.
BundledBaby Care (newborn care from birth to six weeks)
“In every action we take with your newborn, we respect the baby’s right to be attached, connected to your skin and receive respectful, soulful care; all while supporting the biological need to breastfeed at every turn”—Willowsong Team
We do what we do as much for the baby as for the woman. Our whole team sees the natural birth process as protective for the newborn. To help facilitate a baby’s gentle birth, with undisturbed attachment to the mother, is one of our greatest joys. First, there is the transition phase where both mother and baby are stabilizing; then you have the taking-in phase, where for the next good hour to hour & ½ you are resting and breastfeeding, untouched, but closely monitored. You will never forget this time with your new bundle!
We take care of your newborn baby from the moment of birth up to 6 weeks, honoring and supporting the newborn’s inherent need to be connected and attached to the primal family.
BundledBaby Care is a part of our Comprehensive MotherBaby Care program and includes:
- Full newborn exam within the first hours of birth. We offer all newborn medications at birth.
- 24hr visit to assess breastfeeding and perform recommended lab tests including the Newborn Metabolic Screen & the Critical Cardiac Heart Defect Screen
- Breastfeeding visit on day 2-3 by our lactation specialists
- Day 5 and 2 week well-baby physical assessments/evaluations of growth & development, as indicated, ensuring that the breastfeeding relationship is thriving!
- Newborns are welcome @ our 6-week Post Birth Group with all the new mamas! Topics of discussion include breastfeeding, baby cares, sleep, nighttime parenting, cloth diapering, & baby wearing and much more!
Our MISSION is to help women…
DISCOVER the inherent protective power of birth to transform by holding the space for women to experience birth as nature intended it to be